

Minutes for ACCU Committee meeting

22nd January 2023, via Jitsi

Meeting started at 2.30pm.

1. Attending

Ralph McArdell, Bob Schmidt, Matt Jones, Roger Orr, Guy Davidson, Geoff Daniels, Jim Hague, Patrick Martin, Phil Nash, Felix Petriconi, Adeel Nadeem, Robin Williams.

Apologies for absence

None.

2. Minutes from last meeting

The committee approved the minutes of the previous meeting

3. Actions in progress

Note: the Google Sheet for actions is here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RMTorasYR_A94VBjv-Dn6ghhTVWLbW0w1ekhN994qFI

Actions from previous meetings:

146	Phil: Local groups: propose to add “affiliated groups” section underneath - Phil to send details to Bob
195	Phil: Document role of Local Groups Officer, share by e-mail to accu-committee
196	Guy: Document role of Standards Officer, share by e-mail to accu-committee
201	Matt: follow up on ACCU Bay Area balance.
206	Patrick: Contact HMRC about tax status
207	All: think of other processes (beyond those included in minutes of 18/9/2022) which might be useful to document.
208	Patrick: update media pack with cost-level advertising rates.
209	Adeel: consider targeting advertising contacts, pending agreed media pack (#208).
210	Patrick: update signatories on ACCU bank accounts
211	Matt: coordinate memorial notice for Robert Pauer for CVu, contact Francis Glassborow.
212	Matt: document membership processes
213	Bob: document publication web processes
214	Patrick: document treasury processes
215	Roger: liaise with Felix about conference processes and interaction with committee.
216	Jim: Write up plan for hosting for next committee meeting, w.r.t. options for upgrading hosting; looking at breaking apart infrastructure to enable future moves between hosts.
217	Patrick: Investigate setting up membership Discord channel. Contact Jim & Felix about

extending conference Discord channel.

146 Phil: I had thought this had been done a long time ago, but in case not I'll send this, again, as a separate email (it says to send it to Bob, but I may as well send to the reflector at this point). Done.

195: In progress

196: In progress

201: Matt: Balance has been transferred to C++ Bay Area account to use for their own projects. Done.

206: Patrick: HMRC have been completely useless. I'm going to have to restart. In progress.

207: Patrick will share documents on Treasurer activities when complete. Ongoing.

208: Patrick: Done; I'll get it to Bob to update.

209: Adeel: Thinking about potential target companies, mostly C++ technology companies. Will share ideas with committee list for comments & suggestions. Ongoing.

210: Patrick: done (but note we need another action item to add *at least* Geoff)

211: Matt: Put message on accu-members, some feedback will be aggregated for future CVu issue. Felix will also mention in Robert's contributions in introduction to conference. Ongoing.

212: Matt: Ongoing. Will also think about storing internal documentation.

213: Bob: I have started the documentation, but have not finished it.

214: Patrick: done

215: Roger: deferred while conference preparation in progress.

216: Jim: ongoing.

217: Patrick: Jim Roper has been unwell. Need to get Felix and Jim and I together soon. Ongoing.

Actions added by this meeting:

218: Bob: add affiliated groups and advertising rates text to the website.

4. Reports

4.1 Advertising

Geoff: The changes to advertising rates now in place now enables approaches to be made to potential future advertisers.

It has been agreed that it makes sense to advertise the ACCU conference for free in ACCU magazines.

4.2 Conference

Felix: conference registration has started, all speakers now have personalized access to registration. Pre-conference workshops for 1 and 2 days are available.

4.3 Local Groups

No updates.

Matt: A member commented to me: "Do you know what the deal is with ACCU online - there doesn't seem to be anything happening and the line 'Introducing ACCU Online - a Local Group with a Global Reach!' has been there

for ages with no link”

Bob: FYI - ACCU Online was added to the page around 10 May 2021 when an online presentation was announced in the news feed. That’s the only online local group meeting we’ve had. At the time it looked like online meetings were going to become the norm due to the plague. There is no link, because there has been no further activity, and therefore nothing to link to. I can remove the entry; that’s the easiest thing to do.

4.4 Membership

Matt: Current numbers at

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_DBWE4ya54atjshuEMzA4qdWEa-bagJVc4A36u_YOpO/edit#gid=11

Some new members have joined. One corporate member is interested in sending 15 staff members to meeting on their corporate ACCU membership. WorldPay needed to be provided with renewed identity information to cover payments to ACCU.

4.5 Treasurer

No issues have appeared in current financial year accounts, albeit with lower conference revenue. Have considered charitable status, but need to clarify & document what our broader aims are, beyond publishing magazines.

Guy: Can money be spent on Local Group refreshments and overnight expenses?

Ralph: this may have happened previously, but need explicit policy on this.

Patrick: Bloomberg may be happy to support events in London.

The status of groups across UK was reviewed. Action to investigate Guy talking in London in March.

Phil: has been working through the CIC process with another C++ organization, and is happy to share experiences.

Motion: executive committee members (Geoff, Patrick, Robin, Matt) will be co-signatories on bank account.

Proposed: Patrick, Seconded: Geoff. Passed unanimously.

Note will need to deal with cover for non-UK committee members when it happens.

4.6 Publicity & Social Media

Adeel: Nothing further to add to previous discussion. Discussed visibility for conference with Sarah.

4.7 Standards

Guy: Will be travelling to next C++ standards meeting in a couple of weeks. Bi-monthly reports are being published in CVu.

4.8 Website

Jim: e-mail blockage of outgoing e-mail by SpamHaus, as a result of using too many free checks. This was due to generic dns lookup. Have installed local lookup which has addressed this problem. Added further redirects from old website addresses to new places for the content. Reports of slow response close to start of New Year appear to be down to a spike of traffic accessing popular articles. Additional storage space has been provided to address shortage, at a small additional cost for ACCU.

Bob: Jim’s additional 12 Gb of Hugo space has alleviated space limits. Have also removed surplus files, e.g. indices. Have added additional membership management processes to website and updated documentation accordingly, incrementally released to users without announcement. Working on improving the process of validation for e-mail address changes. Daniel is still providing e-pub versions of magazines in a timely manner.

Felix: draft conference system could be removed. The conference system uses a more recent version of Ruby than other parts of the website, so there is some duplication but this seems unavoidable.

4.9 Publications

Roger: Steve & Fran are doing a good job sourcing content from blogs, but would like more content generated by ACCU members.

Felix: suggests encouraging committee members to contact conference speakers about publishing their content in magazines.

Guy: could a 1000-word summary be requested for every conference paper? Maybe too late to mandate this in 2023.

5. Any other business

5.1 Review of actions taken to address controversy raised by conference invitations

Felix: Programme committee noticed that an individual previously banned by CppNow had proposed a session. Committee concluded that they should be included in programme because of the value of the session. This choice caused controversy on social media and the withdrawal of some sessions. Proposed statement caused concerns among ACCU committee members. Further discussions led to proposal to withdraw session, which led to revised statement published on the ACCU website. Offer open to proposed speakers to return sessions to agenda if they wish. Some PC members are unhappy with the perceived lack of support from ACCU committee to PC who are in possession of full information, a view reiterated by other PC members.

Matt: The conference committee were clearly faced with a very difficult situation, and did their best to manage it.

Felix: Timely responses are difficult as committee members have other responsibilities, and ACCU conference committee is a voluntary role. This has also been a difficult issue to handle in the first time that Mosaic have been administering the conference. Direct feedback has been supportive, but Twitter response has been unhelpful and tends to be difficult to respond to on the timescale over which responses evolve.

Geoff: The eventual outcome appears to have worked out OK.

Patrick: may be worth contracting reputational consultant? Also worth considering pre-preparing statements & making public response times for CoC violations.

Bob: is policy of steering clear of Twitter sensible?

Felix: seems likely that any response on Twitter would have led to the situation getting worse.

Patrick: What to do going forward?

Felix: Improve integration between CoC teams between different conferences? Seems negative, better to clarify what external information will be considered when making decisions, e.g. if someone is known to have been sanctioned at a different conference.

Jim: Advice from experts on safeguarding might be of value.

Patrick: Do we need to have an action to establish means of support, e.g. reputation consultant, and to publish response protocols?

Roger: Sarah from Mosaic has had CoC externally reviewed and revised already. Given this experience, it seems worth having established protocols (akin to what is prepared in advance for data breaches) so that responses can be quicker to issues which arise in future.

5.2 Confirm arrangements for 2023 ACCU AGM

Announce Date	25-Feb-2023
Post Nominations and Proposals :	18-Mar-2023
Draft Agenda:	25-Mar-2023
Agenda Freeze:	1-Apr-2023
Voting Opens:	08-Apr-2023
AGM	22-Apr-2023

6. Date of next meeting

The date of the next committee meeting will (provisionally) be 19th March 2023 @ 14.30, via Jitsi.